Ceremonies remembering the 9/11 terrorist attacks are scheduled Tuesday across Michigan.
Retired Brigadier Gen. Michael McDaniel will take part in ceremonies that start just after 7 a.m. in Grand Rapids. West Michigan events include:
- Allendale: U.S. flag placement outside Grand Valley State University's Kirkhof Center, starting at 7 a.m.
- Grand Rapids: 9/11 Community Day of Remembrance and Scout Salute from dawn to dusk at Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum
- Grand Rapids: U.S. flag placement near GVSU's Beckering Family Carillion Tower at DeVos Center, starting at 7 a.m.
- Kalamazoo: 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Wings Event Center, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Kalamazoo: 9/11 Remembrance Event at Bronson Park, 5:30 p.m.
Eastern Michigan University's annual Ceremony of Remembrance starts at 8:30 a.m. at the school's 9/11 Memorial at Pease Park in Ypsilanti. The memorial features a steel beam from the 74th floor of the World Trade Center's South Tower.
Lansing's police and fire departments also will hold a ceremony at 8:30 a.m. at Wentworth Park.
Terrorists used hijacked planes to crash Sept. 11, 2001, into the World Trade Centers, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania. Nearly 3,000 people were killed in the attacks.
(Courtesy: WOOD TV)