The MI Department of Transportation aiming to make travel a little easier and a little quicker this Memorial Day weekend.
MDOT announced they'll remove most traffic restrictions starting Friday, May 27 at 3pm. Restrictions will be reinstated Tuesday, May 31 at 6am.
The state warns some equipment and traffic arrangements will still be present.
AAA Michigan estimates more than 1.1M Michiganders will be traveling this weekend 50 miles or more from home - that's a 7.9% increase from last year.
MDOT also reminding motorists to buckle up and stay alert.
Here's a complete list of work zones that will remain active this weekend in West MI:
- 14 Mile Road, Osceola County, is closed over US-131. Detour posted.
- I-96, Kent County, has one westbound lane open with a traffic shift between Whitneyville Avenue and 36th Street. The following ramps will be closed:
- The eastbound I-96 ramp to westbound M-6,
- The eastbound M-6 ramp to eastbound I-96, and
- The 36th Street entrance ramp to eastbound I-96.
- I-96, Kent County, has the eastbound ramp to southbound US-131 closed with a posted detour. The M-37 (Alpine Avenue) ramp to southbound US-131 is also closed.
- I-96, Muskegon County, has one lane open in each direction at Hile Road near US-31.
- I-96, Muskegon County, has one lane open in each direction over Norris Creek near Fruitport.
- I-196, Kent County, has westbound lanes shifted at the I-196 Business Loop (Chicago Drive) interchange in Grandville. The eastbound I-196 exit ramp to Chicago Drive is closed, and the Chicago Drive entrance ramp to westbound I-196 is closed.
- I-196, Ottawa County, has a traffic shift with two westbound lanes open and one eastbound lane open between Hudsonville and Zeeland.
- M-179 (129th Avenue), Allegan County, has the entrance ramp to southbound US-131 closed.
- US-31, Allegan County, has the northbound lanes closed at I-196 with traffic detoured to M-40. The southbound US-31 exit ramp to Washington Avenue/Blue Star Highway is closed.
- US-31, Mason and Manistee counties, is closed between Hoague Road and Fox Farm Road. Detour posted.
- US-131 Business Route (19 Mile Road) in Big Rapids is closed between 220th Avenue and Northland Drive. Detour posted.
- I-69, Calhoun County, has one lane open in each direction from I-94 to M-78.
- I-69, Calhoun County, has one lane open in each direction between M-60 and Marshall Drive.
- I-94, Berrien County, has two lanes open in each direction with a traffic shift from I-196 to Britain Avenue. The southbound I-196 ramp to eastbound I-94 is closed and detoured.
- I-94, Kalamazoo County, has ramp closures at Portage Road; Portage Road has one lane open in each direction with no left turns at Kilgore Road.